Resources and Facilities
Ideally, training facilities should have sufficient resources and equipment to perform classroom and activity-based learning in a setting conducive to effective learning.
However, often such facilities are not available and instructors find themselves having to make do and adapt to training in the environment they are given. Sometimes training will be done in remote or non-traditional locations. For example, this could be “in the field” where workers are waiting to be hired, in the case of day laborers. In other cases, you may be in a smaller room than anticipated, or there may be no electrical outlets, or flip charts in the room where you are training. Trainers should anticipate such setbacks and prepare as best as they can.
Class sizes of about 25 people (or less) work best, especially when incorporating activity-based learning into the training experience. When class size exceeds 30 people, it is advisable to provide a second instructor and divide the class into two sections during instruction.
Space and facilities should encourage small group exercises or hands-on training using equipment as part of activity-based learning. Adequate and appropriate facilities for supporting the training include the following:
- Sufficient space for all attendees to sit comfortably during instruction;
- Sufficient room setup for participants to interact with one another;
- Enough equipment for all attendees and demonstration equipment for the instructor/facilitator (if applicable);
- Technology equipment, technical support, and resources sufficient to support training, such as during instructor presentations or web-based training used by participants to enhance learning (if applicable).
There should be at least one instructor for every 25 participants.
Training facilities should have sufficient resources, and equipment to perform classroom and activity-based learning in a setting conducive to effective learning. Provide adequate:
- Space that is comfortable,
- Room set-up that encourages interaction,
- Equipment for hands-on practice, and
- Technology / technical support to support training and enhance learning.